Women with curly hair often dream about the day they can have straight, more manageable hair. With the right tools and techniques, any woman with loose to tight curls can straighten her locks. Here’s how:
First, you will need to make sure that you have a few tools on hand:
- Round brush
- Wide toothed comb
- Blow dryer
- Your favorite hair brush straightener
- Hair smoothing product (preferably with heat protection)
- Start off by washing your hair and making sure that your hair is free from any snags and tangles. Comb out your hair with a side toothed comb.
- Now apply a styling product that is made to help straighten and/or smooth out our hair so you can help prevent your hair from “frizzing”.
- Next, take a section of your hair and let it hang down (leave ¼ inch to ½ inch hanging down). Pin up the rest on top of your head to keep it out of the way.
- Take a round brush and roll that section of hair you have hanging down in a downward motion.
- The best way to straighten your hair is to start by blow drying your hair at a low setting. Continually blow dry your hair in a downwards motion while rolling the round brush from the roots of your hair downwards. Continue to do this with until that strand of hair is dried and is straight.
- Now let down another section of hair that is ¼ to ½ an inch in thickness, and carry on with step 4 and 5 above until all of the hair on your head is completely dry.
- Once your hair has been dried, it’s time to break out the hair straightener to give your hair that smooth, polished look. Pin your hair on top of your head again and start off by straightening layer by layer of your hair, taking ¼ to ½ an inch of each layer at a time. Depending on how curly your hair is naturally, you my have to use the straightener on each section of your hair any where from 1 to 5 swipes.
- Once completed, you can follow up with a straightening or smoothing product, or you can even mist an extra hold hair spray on your hair to help it keep straight and frizz-free.
You may need to experiment with different hair products to see which ones will help hold your hair straight and fight off your natural curl. The best way to test out products is to visit your local drug store and pick up product samples, or you can contact companies directly online for some trial samples. It may be a bit of a trial and error process, but when you find the right one you will be extremely pleased with your new, straight hair.
TIP: Women with looser curls may be able to use a “wet” hair straightener to straighten out their hair, meaning that they can forego any blow drying. Alternatively, you may be able to get away with using a blow dryer only and skip the hair straightening process.